Sunday, June 3, 2007

Photographic memories...

During one of my visits to my dida’s[Bengali for grand ma i.e mother’s mother] place, I happened to find an old album lying at a corner. Many of you must have felt similarly, I remember to my young mind it was unfathomable to see my mother and uncles so young. Well my mother had the same face just a little childish and dwarfed. The photographs simply fascinated me. My mother in a polka dotted frock and pigtails, a passport photograph of her in school dress. A photograph of her and her cousin, which looked like a scene, lifted from a nineteen-seventy’s Sharmila Tagore movie minus the hairdo -- two ladies standing in a short-sleeved blouse and bold floral printed saris, demurely smiling at the camera. A photograph of one of my uncles as a baby, and a photograph of him grown up and looking cool in bell-bottoms. Another photograph of my mother sitting pretty on a chair,which I came to know later was sent to papa for a look before wedding .Dida has preserved the early photographs of my father, of my parent’s wedding and one much later. I found some of my photographs and my sister’s, which I had never seen myself. It was almost like finding a treasure.

I ran to dida, seeking ownership of the album. She simply replied – “You have my daughter…let me have her photographs”. Her words almost made me guilty. Since then I have never laid claim to the album again, but till date browsing through that album seems to be a favorite activity whenever I visit her.

5 comments:

Chaos said...

:). true absolutely. i have the same feelings everytime i see those old snaps of my parents when they were young.papa in his uniform as a young captain, then before that as a kid in shorts and a tshirt, holding his brother in his hand. and boy i tell you were these ladies stylish even then. Mummy in her sports dresses for badminton et al. wow :)).


but i loved the statement that your dadiji made. so simple, yet so very meaningful. :)

Col Gurusaday Batabyal said...

Heart touching. Simple anecdote like this remain etched in memory for ever.

Byzantine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Byzantine said...

i'm one of those unfortunate ones to be born after by grand-dads and grand-moms passed away...yet my parents do have a couple of old albums safely tucked away in the cupboard..and yes, on dark rainy afternoons during power cuts, i used to flick the album open and gaze into the pics for hours.
in my school days, i used to carry the very pic of Ma that had been shown to Dad for marriage in my wallet, and declared to anyone who cared that one day i'm gonna marry someone just as beautiful as her.

nice post...got me all nostalgic.

Unknown said...

keep posting about ur abode abroad. u ll luv browsing them later.