Thursday, June 21, 2007

An unknown place. A new house. A new workplace and the lonely me.

Well don’t be scared, this is not some weepy story of a helpless girl left alone in the world. But when I landed here, it seemed quite so……. to me at least.

I have been sent on deputation to UK and though this is the second time I am visiting the country, the experience is certainly very different from the previous one. To elaborate, on my previous visit I was sent on an assignment for a project where I had worked previously for close to 2 years. Apart from the shift in location everything else was familiar. A familiar group of friends and it was a known turf. I hardly felt away from home.
This time, everything is new. The place….the people….. and the work.

During my first visit here, I had been advised by a close friend to pen down my first impressions. “Its nice to read them later.” , he said.

My impressions during my first visit:-

· It was cold. [brrrrrr…..even recollecting it gives me the shivers]

· Women wear awesome shoes. While waiting at the coach station at Heathrow, I spent the entire two hours watching the shoes that the ladies around me had put on.They actually manage to run around comfortably in 4 inches stilletoes !...wooaahhh

· The journey from London to Bristol was …well black and invisible, because I was travelling at night. I really wished then, that I was travelling at day time, so that I could see the famous English landscapes, I had so often heard of.

· This is a place to apply all that you have learnt at school about saying “sorry” and “thank you”. Courtesies are very much appreciated and I quite admire this. I noticed that I started sounding much more polite than what I did earlier.

· I loved the very popular “fish and chips”.[It’s a different story that the needle on the weighing machine went an inch ahead on the right side, because of this and the one below.]

· Awwwwwwsssssssuummmm cakes. Sllllluuurrrrrpppp!

· The Sahara dessert has more crowd than a discotheque here. :(

My impressions this time:

· Travelling alone to an unknown land was not that bad. :)

· Broad daylight at 9:30 in the night!!!.

· The place is much sleepier than the one I stayed before.

· Tonnes of colours all around

· The office looks like a scene lifted from a sci-fi film, where they show campuses similar to NASA.

· And of course a very new experience of staying with a British family. Am getting to know their way of living from close quarters. Not very different ….trust me. More on this later.

· The shopping centres [more popularly called as the town centres], in every town in UK looks the same…..the same shops and the same layout. On second thoughts, all towns here look the same!

· All shops and markets close at 5 in the evening :(.

· This place actually has a jungle on the way to office :D. They call it a sanctuary. Haven’t seen any animals though.

· The cakes still are as yummy as before. He he.

6 comments:

byzantine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Byzantine said...

what about the famous english sarcasm?? i'm sure u'll have a fair collectible of sarcastic comments before you lesve the english shores. do make a post out of them.

Chaos said...

oye!!!!!! 9:30 Pm mein broad daylight........howz that.....?? aisa to north pole and south pole pe happens doesnt it........ufff i should have studied geography more carefully under Hidimba......:((

anyways,oh you staying with a british family?? good re. enjoy...:))

KB said...

@ byzantine - hmm quite correct

@ chaos - ya i knw. i suddenly miss hidimba

Kasi Alagappan said...

Ipswich!!!
That brings me the reminiscences of my Ipswich days(feb-April '07).

True, Ipswich is a lot sleepy! But when I came my expectations were tad low, so I was happy to note few things that I didn't expect.blogged a few here

http://raconteurkasi.blogspot.com/2007/03/uk-musings.html
Dont miss seeing the Ipswich (Suffolk Libraries) Library there; it is perhaps the only place to 'hang' around ;)


And one not so cool thing is the long wait and long queue for 'Super route' 66/66B bus :(

KB said...

@kasi - hey kasi, nice to see you here. yes i agree the library is actually a nice place to be in.
and yes the 66B is the same as wht you have described.
take care :)